Monday, July 13, 2009

50th anniversary of the Corvair !

Off to...
I worked at Campbell Ewald in Detroit on the Chevrolet account for a few years starting in 1956, first as head art director on Chevrolet sales promotion, then on the national magazine ads. After that I was working with Fenton Luedke in a special group called PLUS ONE. We were in direct competition with the regular Chevrolet group and were encouraged to come up with wild ideas.That lasted about a year for me. Jim Hastings was moving up and offered me his job as creative director. I decided against it as I wanted to pursue an illustration career and I quit the agency. I was also weary of agency politics. Upon quiting, I was immediately rehired to work on a very secret project, the Corvair announcement ads. Hastings set me up in an office in the GM Building near Campbell Ewald, my first job as a freelancer. Because of my involvement with these Corvair announcement ads I was invited to come down to Jacksonville, Florida for the CORSA's 50th anniversary bash. I'll be meeting my old friend Fenton Luedke as he was also invited. Should be fun.

CPF BlkBkgd
I was asked to design a 50th anniversary medalian pictured above.

Corvair ads 2
Here are some of the announcement ads that ran in the newspapers across the country. I decided to utilize a cartoon approach as a strong design element.

Corvair Ad

No comments: