Saturday, September 19, 2009

New painting based on digital study

I have finished six paintings in my new series which are based on digital sketches.

NewFig 1
Here are a few sketches done on the computer that I plan to use as a basis for large scale acrylic paintings. The lower right image interested me as I felt it would make an interesting painting.

NewFig2
This is going to be a big one, 48 x 48 inches. I'm not just sure how I'll deliver it to the gallery as it'll never fit in my car. I'll have to find someone with a van. I begin by drawing the image on the canvas with a marker pen. Sometimes I project the image on the canvas with a Beseler projector, a machine which I used frequently when I was doing commercial illustrations.

NewFig3
I then start to paint in various areas knowing that I probably will change many of the colors and values later as I progress.

NewFig4
The background color is too orange at this stage, but it will make a good undertone for the color that I will use later. At this stage it's a bit hard to tell what the color values should be, it will be much easier as I cover the canvas with tones.

NewFig5
I changed the background color which now seems to work better and the other colors and values are working quite well, although I still have a long way to go. If you look carefully in the background you'll spot Laura lounging in a cardboard box. My cats usually are in the studio with me when I am working.

NewFig7
Here's a close up of Laura in case you couldn't see her in the last photo.

NewFig6
Jpeg was up on the beam where she can easily watch me, she loves it up there.

NewFig8
Tiff was where he usually is, on my computer chair having a good snooze.

No comments: