Thursday, December 4, 2008

Coloring a cartoon digitally

The computer medium has simplified many operations such as adding color to line drawings or cartoons. You can even easily do several versions of the same art for evaluation purposes, a real time-saving advantage over traditional painting mediums.

Cartoon4

I start out with a black line drawing done with a Pentel Sign Pen, which I scan into the computer. I decide to change the color of the basic drawing to a medium blue. Then I begin to add the flat colors which I can easily change if I am not satisfied with how they look. I am using the Paint Bucket Tool in Photoshop Elements 2.0 to add the colors.

Cartoon5

In a matter of minutes I have finished the cartoon which worked out very well.

Cartoon3

If I'm not quite sure of the result, I can easily and try several different versions, something that would be very tedious to accomplish using traditional painting mediums. This study is just one example of why the computer is such an exceptional medium for artists to experiment with.

No comments: